Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The OCA Targets Parker

A few weeks ago, during the Feast of the Dormition of the Blessed Virgin Mary, I learned from local Orthodox priest Fr. David Mustian that the OCA has targeted Parker for an Orthodox mission.

The Orthodox Church in America had as it's local dean a wonderful priest named Fr. Hirsch, who died over the summer.  He was the main contact for this effort.

This is an answer to my prayers, but is not without a price.

The OCA has no Western Rite and many among its ranks are not favorable towards the Western Rite.

Another local priest, Fr. John Armstrong is one of the remaining contacts for this missionary effort.  I've e-mailed him once and received a kind response confirming the plans of the OCA, and called him and talked to him.

I've asked my family to make a pilgrimage to Saint Herman's Orthodox Church a couple of Sundays from now in an attempt to cultivate ties with Fr. Armstrong and other Parker residents who might attend Saint Herman's.

I also broached the subject of a Western Rite presence in any new parish, in the form of a chapel or oratory.

Please stay tuned on further developments.

Columba Silouoan.


No comments: