Thursday, March 10, 2011

Once Again, Great Lent is Here. This means . . .

That delightful time of spiritual refreshment and rejuvenation known as Great Lent is upon us.

One of our Deacons or our Priest recently advised us to make Lent a time of retreating from the hassles of the world in order to focus on Christ.

I'm totally on board with this advice.

Just like last year, I'm staying off of my Facebook page until Great Lent is over.

If anyone really needs to get in touch with me, my e-mail address is chcate@juno.com.

My Lenten Rule for 2011 is as follows:

First, I'm giving up on the drinking of the purified water I love from Vitamin Cottage.

Second, I'm going to amend my ways regarding my constant and sometimes peace-robbing interest in the Holy Diaconate and Priesthood.

I wish to really try and develop a mindset of praying about this interest only, and resolutely refuse to actively seek these offices of Holy Mother Church.

If the Priesthood is in my future, God Himself will have to elevate me. Any possibility of this must be from His initiative and choosing. Lord willing, I will continue to work hard for my local parish and in my local community for the advancement of Holy Orthodoxy and let the chips fall where they may.

I'm going to cease worrying about my goals for 2011. During Great Lent I'm simply going to live my life and focus on my relationship with God (or lack thereof) for the next 40 days.

I'm going to try and make at least one Stations of the Cross service.

I'm going to talk about myself less on the way home from church and at other times and ask the children more questions about themselves.

I'm going to try less "rote" prayers before meals and bedtime in an attempt to get my children to learn to speak to God in a more personal way.

Groan. Here's a really tough one! I'm going to cut out Sports talk and Sports Radio listening for 40 days and instead listen to the local classical music station and K-Love.

I'm going to try and cut down on my swearing at work.

I'm going to make it a point to go to a Lenten Confession to Fr. Falconi or Fr. Lou.

As far as the dietary requirements are concerned, I plan to eat less and keep my normal practice of meatless and dairy-less Wednesdays and Fridays. With a pre-existing medical condition, I'm unable to strictly practice the dietary standards of Great Lent as much as I would like to do.

This is my Lenten Rule for 2011.

Columba Silouan

1 comment:

Frank said...

Sounds like a plan. As to the priesthood, I suspect that is up to local politics.