Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Personal Motivation for this Project

Normally, a person might think that someone who wishes to promote the establishment of an Orthodox Mission must himself be a Postulant for Holy Orders or someone interested in becoming a Deacon or Priest.

In my case, I sure would love that to happen someday, but at present I don't feel "together enough" or worthy enough to be a Priest.

Nevertheless, I love The Church and the things of The Church.

So I've decided to be a tentmaker because I enjoy it so much.

I don't know if God will ever call me to the Holy Priesthood. He would have to do a lot of work in me first and I would really have to be aware of such grace in my life. To barge ahead without God's clear leading would be presumptious and spiritually dangerous. I "will have to know that I know" if it is ever to happen. Right now, I just don't know, and that's not good enough.

But Orthodox lay people can help get Orthodox Missions going. If we depend on priests and deacons to do everything, we're going to be dissappointed. They have their hands full.

I recently listed this project on the Ransomed Hearts website of John Eldredge. This is my dream, and Ransomed Hearts as a ministry encourages people to dream.

Pray for me, dear readers. I wish to become more and more like Christ. I have a very long way to go, but I have the help of the Orthodox Church to get there. This kind of help is the best and surest kind. I just need to cooperate with it.

Blessings,

Columba Silouan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Parker, I am beginning to think that a Tent-maker is the best job in the world. Professional clergy live life in a fish bowl, and although they are a special and called breed, it is not a life for many. I have been struggling with a similar call to deeper service, and also realize that God will have to do some major earth work in me before I can honestly stand before a congregation and serve them on Gods behalf. So, tents are good! I really like your blog, too. I will email you re: Orthodoxy.

Peace